check us out at www.UMAAI.com
I am Steven A. Berkowitz, Development Director and Associate Training Director for the United Martial Arts Association, Int'l., the Hombu association of Hanshi Hugh Kelley, direct student and successor to Kuniba Shogo, Soke, who headed the Seishin Kai Karate Union. (one of karate's greatest Masters). Soke Kuniba's arts and systems included Motobu-Ha Shito Ryu, Mugai Ryu Iai, and Goshin Jutsu.
The UMAAI was formed in 1970, before Hanshi Kelley became affiliated with Kuniba Soke. Kuniba Soke passed away in 1992.
Hanshi Kelley is holder of a kudan rank in Motobu-Ha shito ryu awarded him by Kuniba Soke, with lesser ranks in many/various other systems and styles.
Additionally, Hanshi Kelley is Vice-President of Sunn Classic Pictures, a movie-making company in Hollywood, with major movie titles already to his credit as scriptwriter. He is currently involved with the release of the new movie of comedian Tom Conway, "DORF:USMC".
We are inviting traditional karate, ju jutsu, kobujutsu, iai, kendo, and goshin jutsu instructors to consider affiliating with the UMAAI under Hanshi Kelley.
Whether you are kyokushinkai, goju ryu, wado ryu, shito ryu, shotokan, uechi ryu, shorin ryu, chito ryu, isshin ryu, or one of the other classical ryuha of karate, kempo, aiki ju jutsu, ju jutsu, or of another koryu, we have a place for you in the UMAAI.
If you are interested in exploring that possibility and want further contact, pelase return an email to me with your background information.
Steven A. Berkowitz
Associate Training Director
KokubashinRyu KarateDo(shito ryu)
USA Goju Ryu KarateDo
If you do not belong to a Traditional International Martial Arts Organization,
we invite you to consider UMAAI, the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL.
In the spirit of Brotherhood among Traditional Martial Art Stylists practicing Karate Do, Goshin Do and Kobu Do, our UMAAI Organizational Family accepts Traditional Martial Artists for Membership in the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL. The UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION was formed in 1970, and its heritage comes from the traditions of Asian Martial Arts, and now has members in other countries around the world, thus, UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL is truly an International Organization for Traditional Martial Arts.
The UMAAI Headquarters is located near Hollywood, California USA in Glendale, California USA. However, in countries where there are several UMAAI Member Clubs, UMAAI establishes a So Hombu or Branch Headquarters and selects an Official Representative(s) and other UMAAI Black Belt Members in that Country to oversee the So Hombu for that Country.
The purpose of UMAAI is to unify Traditional Martial Artists in an effort to continue to promote the true spirit of Traditional Martial Arts; to assist Members in learning more about our particular Martial Arts, i.e., Karate Do, Goshin Do and Kobu Do, as they gain more skill and knowledge; by promoting those Members to Higher Rank as they progress, to give UMAAI Members a large group of Brothers and Sisters in the Martial Arts with whom members can train, visit and fellowship with; plus, UMAAI represents a balanced approach to Martial Arts training, physical, mental, and spiritual. Membership in an organization that is internationally recognized lends credibility to you, to your students and to your Club.
TO DO WITH EXCELLENCE WHAT OTHERS DO WELL - This is the motto that the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL has promoted since 1970 and wishes its members to live by.
Each and every workout should be a new adventure into the depths of the Martial Arts. Never be satisfied with the limits of your success and rise to eminence through greater success. Never allow your spirit to be satisfied. Keep your mind clear and unaffected so that things can be perceived exactly as they really are. Truth is relative to circumstances and obligations. Live by the virtue and superiority of intuition over logic. There should be no thought of revenge except as a method for teaching an offender truth.
Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley, Head of the UMAAI, says, "I believe that all Karate Do styles are good - if they build character first and the physical person second."
Shihan continues with, "There is no one style of Karate Do that is any better than another. Anyone who says his or her style is the best is very foolish and unwise."
He goes on to say, "The style does not make the difference. The individual and his or her training makes the difference. The person who has a good qualified instructor and trains hard, is going to be better than the person who does not have a good qualified instructor and does not train hard."
There are a number of ways to get into shape, however, while training at a Traditional Karate Do Dojo, one not only gets into shape, but one learns a means of Empty Handed Self-Defense. There is a uniqueness in a Traditional Karate Do Dojo. There is a conformity and stability because of the togetherness, yet, individuality is underscored. There is a disciplined hierarchy of authority for order, learning, advancement and organization. Martial Arts achievement is awarded only to those who earn it and is highly praised but, the scholastic achievements of members attending schools, colleges, etc., is equally recognized and equally stressed in all classes. Education means knowledge and knowledge means power.
In this letter you will learn more about UMAAI, UMAAI Membership, plus, UMAAI Leaders and some of our UMAAI Family Members. Please read all the information very carefully and if you have any questions concerning UMAAI, please do not hesitate to contact UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL Membership Coordinator, Steven Berkowitz.
The Chief Instructor of the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION is Shihan Hugh Kelley, who began his martial arts training June 17th, 1952 and was the senior student of the late Soke Shogo Kuniba, 10th Dan.
Shihan Hugh Kelley served as Soke Kuniba's SEISHIN KAI MARTIAL ARTS, Inc., (Motobu Ha Shito Ryu Karate Do, Goshin Do and Kobu Do) and SEISHIN KAI INTERNATIONAL JAPAN BUDO ASSOCIATION (Kuniba Ha Karate Do) Director, President and General Manager.
During those years, Shihan Hugh Kelley was a Standing Member of the Board of Directors for SEISHIN KAI KARATE UNION of Osaka, Japan, for which Soke Shogo Kuniba was also the Family Head.
Unfortunately, Soke Shogo Kuniba passed away the following year, July 14th, 1992 following a long bout with stomach cancer. Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley then devoted his Martial Arts expertise and time to the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL.
BENEFITS OF BELONGING TO UMAAI are numerous but here are but a few:
The heritage of UMAAI comes from the traditions of Japanese and Okinawan Budo and is directed by Martial Artists with extensive backgrounds in Martial Arts.
UMAAI Rank Certificates are recognized the world over.
UMAAI currently has Members in other countries, thus, UMAAI is an International Organization and affords its members the opportunity to meet and train with Budo-ka from all over the world.
UMAAI teaches Martial Arts including Japanese and Okinawan Karate Do, Okinawan Kobu Do, Iai Do, Jo Do and Goshin Do.
UMAAI accepts any sincere Traditional Martial Artist of Any Style who wishes to train in our Shitokan Karate Do, Goshin Do and Kobu Do.
UMAAI represents a balanced approach to Martial Arts training - physical, mental, and spiritual.
UMAAI Members have Numerous opportunities to train with Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley and other world-renown Martial Arts Masters.
UMAAI Sponsors Regional and International Seminars, Clinics and Camps for Members. Seminars include Techniques, Forms, Philosophy, Operating a Successful Martial Arts Club, Hosting a Successful Martial Arts Tournaments, Judging Tournaments, Merchandising and much more.
Note: UMAAI Shihan can come to your Individual Dojo to teach a Weekend Clinic.
Summer Camps with top ranked Sensei from Japan, Okinawa, U.S.A., and/or other countries are held in the Mountains of California and the Beaches of Alabama.
Winter Camps are held in different regions of the USA and other countries. There are Training videos to explain Techniques, Forms and other procedures.
Instructor's Handbook presenting essential Kai information.
Black Belt Handbooks to assist the Yudansha along "The Way." Student's Handbook to assist in the education and guidance of UMAAI members.
Photographs and posters of UMAAI Leaders and High Ranking Members.
UMAAI Uniform Patches with the internationally recognized crest.
Official UMAAI I.D. Cards indicating membership status, including special ones for Yudansha (Black Belts).
Promotion guidelines and qualifications for testing to receive
Official UMAAI Certificates of Rank. Formal Black Belt examinations available twice each year in January and June.
Club consultation services on matters of technique and philosophy.
Support documents to assist in the operating of a Successful Club, canvassing for new members, keeping members, etc.
A network of member Clubs throughout the world.
Travel opportunities to visit Japan and/or Okinawa for training with Japanese/Okinawan Masters and to participate in their tournaments. Travel opportunities to visit other countries with UMAAI branches and to participate in their tournaments.
Public relations opportunities to enhance your image and that of your Club and its Members.
Rank certificates in English/Japanese that are recognized by major accrediting organizations.
Club Charter signifying official recognition and membership in UMAAI. Instructor licensing and certification (Kohai, Sempai, Shido Hosa,
Shidoin, Shido Ko Bucho, Shido Bucho, Renshi, Shihan Dai and Shihan).
Invitations to participate in activities of other Organizations that are "friends" with the leaders of UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL.
UMAAI also provides its members with an avenue, via Newsletters, for keeping abreast of events happening in the world of Martial Arts, both nationally and internationally.
UMAAI prints a quarterly Magazine/Newsletter "OSU" for all UMAAI Head Instructors.
Membership in an organization that is internationally recognized lends credibility to you, to your students and to your Club.
Opportunities to have UMAAI Shihan for clinics, seminars, camps and tournaments at your Club.
Reasonable fees for membership and reasonable fees for Official UMAAI Certificates of Rank.
UMAAI offers a line of products including tee shirts, jackets, sweat shirts, patches, rings, handbooks, posters, etc., all carrying the distinctive KAI emblem.
You, Your Club and Your Students will gain Prestige through association with world renown Budo Masters but most of all, You will have the opportunity to grow and the opportunity to increase your overall Martial Arts Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Rank. Thus, you will not only enhance your own Martial Arts training but you will be in a better position to help your own students.
UMAAI offers its member clubs support documents such as handouts, flyers, posters, etc. These documents are custom designed to include information about the individual Club.
UMAAI also designs Letterheads, Business Cards, Flyers, Club Handbooks, etc., for you and your individual Club. We are here to assist you, just let us know your Martial Arts needs.
Plus, as an added bonus, Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley is also a professional maker of Hollywood feature films and UMAAI Members have the opportunity to work in or on films and television programs made by Shihan Kelley.
Shihan Hugh Kelley, Ph.D., with a B.A. Degree in Creative Writing, an M.A. Degree in Writing and a Ph.D. in Literary Arts and Publishing, is the Senior Executive Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer of SUNN CLASSIC PICTURES, INC., of California, a Motion Picture Production, Distribution and Film Financing Corporation. Please check out the SUNN CLASSIC PICTURES, INC., website at www.SunnClassicPictures.com. There will be a UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL Seminar and Banquet during the filming of Shihan Kelley's next full length feature film. Those UMAAI Members attending will get to spend a day or two on the sets of the film.
UMAAI does not accept everyone who applies for Membership and certainly, because UMAAI is an Organization with a strict code of traditional conduct, it is not for everyone.
Only those wishing to train diligently and traditionally need apply.
Since UMAAI is a very prestigious Organization and is certainly not for everyone, there are certain Rules of Membership.
The fairly simple rules for an Individual Black Belt, one who does not belong to a Club, Group or Organization; or an entire Club to join are:
As an Individual Black Belt with no students, or as the Head Instructor for a Club, All UMAAI Black Belts and/or UMAAI Head Instructors must Promise
on their Word of Honor to:
1) Register Himself/Herself and all of His/Her students with UMAAI and this will be done within 30 days of His/Her acceptance into UMAAI as the Head Instructor of His/Her Club(s).
2) He/She WILL re-register Himself/Herself and His/Her students each year with UMAAI. This is to be done 30 days before the expiration date of His/Her UMAAI Membership and/or the students.
3) He/She, as Head Instructor of His/Her Club(s), WILL contact Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley at least once each month.
4) He/She WILL Only issue Kyu (Class) Certificates of Rank obtained from UMAAI. He/She WILL NOT issue any certificates other than Official UMAAI Menjo (certificates of rank) obtained from the UMAAI Hombu (Headquarters).
5) He/She WILL Only issue Dan (Black Belt) Certificates obtained from the UMAAI Hombu. He/She WILL NOT issue any certificates other than Official UMAAI Menjo obtained from the UMAAI Hombu. And, He/She WILL NOT accept a Black Belt Certificate for Himself/Herself from anyone or any other organization except UMAAI.
6) He/She WILL Keep all of His/Her students registered in the UMAAI organization; meaning that all new students WILL register with UMAAI within 15 days of joining His/Her Club(s).
7) He/She WILL Answer inquiries sent to Him/Her by Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley and/or UMAAI immediately. 8) He/She WILL Obey all UMAAI Rules and Regulations as listed in the UMAAI Handbook, set forth for the betterment of all. He/She promises to set an example for others to follow and look up to. 9) He/She WILL Train only according to what UMAAI teaches and, in turn, He/She WILL teach ONLY what UMAAI teaches Him/Her in a like manner. 10) He/She WILL NOT belong to another organization similar to UMAAI while belonging to UMAAI. One cannot serve two different Masters. 11) He/She WILL conduct Himself/Herself with the utmost integrity and honesty, treating all fairly and in the Budo Spirit; presenting proper Martial Arts Budo deportment and etiquette at all times and in all endeavors.
12) He/She WILL never misrepresent Him/Herself, His/Her rank, His/Her knowledge or UMAAI and/or its Rules, Regulations and/or its Leaders or other Members.
13) He/She WILL seek out other Martial Artists whom He/She feels are of good character and solicit them and their students for Membership in UMAAI.
14) He/She WILL work continuously to uphold the prestigious Name and Reputation of the Kai - UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL (a.k.a. UMAAI), its Subsidiaries, its Branches, its Leaders, its Members, its Teachings, its Products and its Philosophies.
15) He/She will pay ALL FEES to UMAAI on time without delay.
16) He/She WILL NOT use any UMAAI Logo, insignia, etc., without the written consent of the UMAAI Director. All these Logos belong to and are the property of Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley.
17) He/She will purchase ALL UMAAI Merchandise through UMAAI.
18) He/She will obtain the UMAAI Head Instructor Handbook from the UMAAI Hombu and/or the UMAAI Black Belt Handbook for Him/Herself and teach by its guidelines.
19) He/She will make sure that each of His/Her students has an UMAAI Student Handbook. No UMAAI Member can be promoted to a higher rank unless He/She has His/Her own individual Handbook.
20) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must endeavor to give thought to those things that will improve UMAAI for the good of all.
21) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must never promote a UMAAI member to the next higher rank unless that person has met all the requirements as outlined in His/Her Handbook and the time-in-grade provision.
22) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must maintain a positive mental attitude and serve as a guide, friend and adviser to lower ranks in UMAAI.
23) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must continue to train and maintain a high degree of proficiency in their Martial Art(s).
24) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must be willing to share their knowledge with any and all UMAAI members.
25) UMAAI Head Instructors and UMAAI Black Belts must adhere to each and every rule and regulation of UMAAI; obey the UMAAI Director and/or his Official Representative, train in KOKUBASHIN HA SHITOKAN KARATE DO, KOBUDO and GOSHIN DO; and adopt the UMAAI Ranking System..
26) Above all, the Black Belt members of UMAAI must strive to promote Brotherhood, set an example for others and to teach their students the true meaning of FRIENDSHIP, DISCIPLINE, OBLIGATION, LOVE, PRIDE, RESPECT, HONOR, LOYALTY, UNITY, TRUTH and TRADITION.
27) He/She understands that the breaking of any one of these Rules of UMAAI Membership will mean the loss of UMAAI Teaching License, and/or the loss of one rank per offense and/or instant expulsion with No Recourse.
Discipline, Friendship, Obligation, Respect, Pride, Honor, Loyalty, Unity, Truth and Tradition are words that UMAAI Members live by and take very seriously. In a day in time when Honor is an all but forgotten word, UMAAI keeps the Budo Tradition alive by teaching the virtue of Veneration.
Only true Budo Ka, those who understand and teach a Code of Discipline, Friendship, Obligation, Respect, Pride, Honor, Loyalty, Unity, Truth and Tradition need apply for membership in UMAAI.
Education means knowledge and knowledge means power.
Shihan says, "There are a large number of Instructors and Black Belts out there with dubious credentials. I do not hold it against them because they were trained by someone whom they thought was genuine. However, if they want real training in Martial Arts, I will accept most any and everyone into our organization, as long as the individual has a sincere desire to learn and follows our Rules and Regulations. I don't take away their doubtful rank but they have to learn and train to prove their authentic, earned rank in UMAAI. UMAAI does not teach Sports Kahrotty - we teach Karate Do the traditional way.
Recently, Shihan Hugh Kelley and Soke Masaharu Sakimukai were interviewing supposed Martial Artists for parts in a motion picture. As each person came forward, he or she was asked his or her style and to perform his or her favorite Kata. The majority of the people had no idea what the name of their style was and the majority had no idea what a Kata was. Some simply stated that their teacher did not teach Kata that they only trained for street fighting. After watching their abilities for a few moments, Shihan Kelley and Soke Sakimukai hoped that none of these people were ever in a real live self-defense situation. Those few who named their style this or that, were certainly no credit to the founding fathers of Karate Do. It is very unfortunate but, this is what is happening to, what is being called Karate (Kahrotty), all over the world. True Karate Do is nearly a thing of the past. Phony instructors, self-promoted Soke, self-promoted Masters, self-promoted Black Belts are to blame. How can they teach something they know nothing about? There are a number of ways to get into shape, however, while training at a Karate Do Dojo, one not only gets into shape, but one learns a means of Empty Handed Self-Defense. There is a uniqueness in a Karate Do Dojo. There is a conformity and stability because of togetherness, yet, individuality is underscored. There is a disciplined hierarchy of authority for order, learning, advancement and organization.
In UMAAI Martial Arts achievement is awarded only to those who earn it and is highly praised but, the scholastic achievements of members attending schools, colleges, etc., is equally recognized and equally stressed in all classes.
Once again, remember, Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley is not only the Director and Chief Instructor of UMAAI but he is also a Hollywood Film Maker. Shihan authored a cable television program for six years, five shows per week. He has been the Principal character in many commercials for cable television and wrote commercials. Shihan Directed a weekly, live, call-in program concerning religion. He Directed and was the Production Consultant for a monthly, magazine genre cable television program. Shihan also wrote and hosted a weekly magazine genre cable television program, "ON THE BAY." He has Penned a number of books including six (6) for children and Martial Arts books. An accomplished screenplay writer with a number of refreshing, new screenplays produced, and in different stages of preproduction. Shihan Kelley Received EDITORS, POETS AND WRITERS AWARD. And was the 1996 Nominee in the OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION CATEGORY of the HOLLYWOOD MEDIA ACCESS AWARDS. Shihan Kelley was either an actor and/or wrote the following films: "THE DIRT BIKE KID," "CAGE," "CAGE II," and "WARRIORS OF "VIRTUE." Forthcoming films from Shihan Hugh Kelley include: "DORF: USMC," "THE POWER OF WHO DO," "THREE CORNER FOLD," "STINKIN' BADGES," "BEAUTY AND THE HUMP," "IS IT THEM," "VORTEX" and others. There will be a Seminar and a Banquet during the filming of each of these projects. Due to space restrictions on Movie sets, UMAAI Members are invited on a first come, first served basis. In other words, UMAAI Members MUST register in advance to attend UMAAI Seminars and a Banquets.
Watch for full length feature films/TV Shows from Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley through SUNN CLASSIC PICTURES, INC. Watch for other films distributed by SUNN CLASSIC.
A number of UMAAI Members have appeared in the films that Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley produces and writes. Some of the UMAAI Members who have appeared in Shihan's films include Shihan Kit Kelley, Ms. Kristy Kelley, Mr. Charles Thomas, Sifu Leo T. Fong, Soke Masaharu Sakimukai and some twenty plus members of UMAAI.
Yes, many of the parts have to do with Martial Arts, however, many do not. In any case, UMAAI Members are always included in films Produced and Written by Shuseki Shihan Hugh Kelley, Ph.D.
If you would like more information concerning Membership in the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL, please feel free to contact UMAAI Membership Coordinator Steven A. Berkowitz via Telephone,(360-551-1417), Letter (800C Hanford Avenue, Bremerton, Wa., 98310) or E. Mail, SABerkowitz@comcast.net. We will answer your inquiry immediately. The sooner you and your students join, the sooner you will enjoy being part of the UNITED MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL